Saturday, February 03, 2018

My Tin Whistle

  It has been a long time since I wanted to own a tin whistle. Ever since I saw Andrea Corr of the Irish band, 'The Corrs' play the tin whistle, and when the played the lively Irish melody called 'Toss the Feathers.' I clearly remember looking at the tin whistles online way, way back, and dreaming of owning one but it was impossible to get one at that time because you need to pay via credit card. Now, I had the chance to own one because there's a lot of online shop around which sells any musical instruments, and you can pay via Cash On Delivery (C.O.D).

The tin whistle is a wind instrument. According to Mr. Moss, a member of one of the tin whistle group online, the tin whistle is the descendant of the much older flageolet. The entire class of fipple flutes share a common style. The recorder and the native American flute is played the same way as the tin whistle. Here in my country we also have a similar instrument, and we call it the bamboo flute. One of the well-known maker of bamboo flute is the King Flute, it is in the key C. I own one wayback, when I was still a teen. The price of the bamboo flute before when converted to dollars was around $6 or less.

My first tin whistle was made in China, it is silver, and had a color black mouthpiece. The brand is Clovers. This is not the customized one named Clover, that is probably made in Argentina. The second flute that I own now is a Feadog. This is a popular brand from Ireland. This is the tin whistle that I'm using now. It is made of brass, has a color green mouthpiece, and it has a Feadog sticker on its body. I can play a simple hymn now called the Amazing Grace.

From the Feadog online shop, quoting: "The Irish tin whistle has been in existence in one form or another for hundred of years. Example of whistles have been found in many different materials including wood, clay, cane and metal. Of all the traditional Irish instruments, the Tin Whistle is probably the most commonly played and the easiest to learn. It has one of the most pleasing sounds of all the musical instrurments. The Feadog is the original Irish whistle and is made in Ireland. Available in the key of C and D. They use a seamless brass barrel, and color coated whistles. It is a real musical instrument produced to the highest standards."

Another reason why I like to own a tin whistle is that it reminds me of the music from Lord of the Rings, and it evokes magical feelings, enchanting music. It also a portable instrument you can carry it anywhere unlike the piano, guitar, or other bigger instruments that's really a hassle to bring. Another popular brand is the Clarke. It is made in England. Most tin whistle players in our fb group favors the Feadog over Clarke. This Feadog costs me around $26. So if you want to feel like magical, start getting your own tin whistle too! Let's play and make beautiful music!

(Just an update! I purchased two new tin whistles. The brand is Clarke. The Feadog is made in Ireland, and the Clarke is made in England. I have now a Clarke Sweetone in C (silver), and a Clarke Celtic tin whistle in D (black). Plus the seller gave me a free Kazoo (a small American instrument that produces a vibrating sound when you hum into it). I also bought a Penny Whistle guide book for beginners).

No comments: