Tuesday, February 27, 2018

J.R.R. Tolkien Book Haul

  Today after work I bought a few books by Tolkien. My favorite specialty bookstore which is Fully Booked carries a few Tolkien books. The titles that I've got are, The Children of Hurin, Beren and Luthien, and The Unfinished Tales of Numenor and Middle-Earth. These books are all stories before the events in The Hobbit, and the Lord of the Rings. I decided to buy them because these titles are the only ones left. I also made a special order, "Tolkien's World from A to Z: The Complete Guide to Middle-Earth." It usually takes 2 months if you request for special order for a specific book. I'm thankful that even if I'm from Asia, I have access to these wonderful titles. I just realized my some of my favorite books, and authors come from UK. I love Jane Austen's novels, and I like the movie Harry Potter. I have also read some of the writings of Tolkien's friend,  C.S. Lewis, The Chronicles of Narnia, but maybe as I got older, my taste in literature has changed. I go for a more serious read.

The books that I bought, two of them are soft-bound, and one is a hard-bound. I got a 10% discount in each of the books because, I got a Fully Booked discount card. I have saved all of my receipts, and it reached to the total amount of 15,000 Philippine Pesos. To get a Fully Booked discount card, you can simply purchase it for 700 pesos, or just do what I did, save all your receipts for the whole year until it reaches the amount of P15, 000 Philippine pesos, and then you can apply for the Fully Booked discount card.
Back to these books. I'll just include  here the summary of each of the books.

1. The Unfinished Tales of Numenor and Middle-Earth are stories and essays that were never completed by J.R.R. Tolkien. But they are compiled and edited by his son Christopher Tolkien. This is a must-have for all LoTR fans. One reviewer of this book said that this is a very good supplement , to the Lord of the Rings.

2. The Children of Hurin - This is the first complete book of Tolkien since 1977. The story is about the evil Morgoth and his war against the elves. Since I am fascinated with the Eldar (elves), I simply cannot let this book pass me by.

3. Beren and Luthien - Anyone who is a sucker for love stories this book is for you. Even if their story is included in the Silmarillon (just a brief one). In this book you will know everything about these two. It is basically the story about Beren, a mortal man, who fell in love with an elf named Luthien. This is another must-buy for me, since its about an elf.

So that's it! If you still have not read the books that I mentioned, you can still grab a copy. The photo shown here are some of my Tolkien book collections.Not much, but I'm proud of 'em! I also have a Legolas toy from, The Hobbit, and a Lorien leaf brooch/pin. Tolkien's work is surely an adventure! Happy reading!

No comments: