Saturday, March 24, 2018

My Favorite Children and Young Adult Books (Pt.1)

       Yesterday, I bought 2 classic children, and young adult books. The first book that I'm gonna talk about is the Nancy Drew series. I got the title no.1. "The Secret of the Old Clock." I remember I used to borrow these books during my elementary days in the library, along with my favorite big book of Fairy Tales. Eversince, I was a kid I love books. I guess, that back then we were fortunate that during our childhood days, the kids are not that very tech savvy. We just have a game and watch, wherein there's only one game, and its not colored. We have the battery operated one, and the solar powered. I remember we have a game and watch, wherein a seal would balance the ball. We can play it near the flourescent light, or outdoors since its solar powered. Then came pc games. I really feel good visiting our school's library always. Aside from the Nancy Drew Series, I also like to read the Choose Your Own Adventure. Wherein you get to be the lead character and you choose what's going to happen next.The writer of the Nancy Drew series, I just found out wasn't really Carolyn Keene, but it was sort of an alias used by the writers of the book. Along with Nancy Drew Series came another young detective book named, Hardy Boys. These books were a huge hit and there was even a tv show before with the same title, The Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Mysteries. The show ran from the year 1977 to 1979. A movie was made in 2007 starring Emma Roberts. I think that these books and tv shows inspired the many detective tv series today like CSI etc.

The other classic children's book, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, I only came to know during my adult days. But I have seen the old film starring Gene Wilder before during my younger days.I haven't read the book so I decided to buy it. Also, I cosplayed before as Willy Wonka in our workplace, so this story was really memorable for me. The latest movie adaptation of Roald Dahl's novel was starred by one of my favorite versatile actor, Johnny Depp (he starred in Edward Scissorhands, as a pirate in Pirates of the Carribean, a vampire in the movie Dark Shadows, Alice in Wonderland as the Mad Hatter, Chocolat, he also starred in suspense thriller movies like the Secret Window, Sleepy Hollow and many more) who played Willy Wonka. What I like about this story is that it teaches us about hope, and kindness. That no matter how hard life is, there's still a rainbow in the end. It also teaches us to never give-up. Just try and try. Also, greed, and other selfish acts does not end in a happy note.

This is just the part one of my favorite classic books. I'll just update when I have a new one coming-up!

No comments: